Sunday, September 12, 2010

Budgeting for the first time at ... 50!?

I have never budgeted. Not once. Here I am, trying it for the first time. I'm 50. I guess it's about time. With the help of my able sister, Lynda, who is a budgeter extraordinaire, I am about to embark on the path of Grown Up People, the kind who actually know where their pennies end up.

Our first task was to find out exactly how much money I make, vs how much money I spend. This was daunting for my sister, who was shocked when I managed to spend over a hundred dollars at Barnes and Noble in less than 30 minutes. Even more shocking to her was that I had no idea how much I had in my possession. Dollars stuffed in the glovebox, big jars of change, a twenty dollar bill in the side pocket of my car...I remembered aloud the time that my friend Mark Scott came over to help me organize my apartment, and how surprised I was that he found $75 in various places over the course of our organizing spree.

I like surprises. Lynda informs me that, in the World of Budgeting, "surprise" is a dirty word.

No comments:

Post a Comment